Friday, June 19, 2009

Meta Post: "Clumsy but Swift"

One of the consequences of not posting for over two weeks (due to a move...) is that I have dozens of posts in the works fueled by my horror and outrage over what is occurring in this country. It appears that Obama’s overt strategy is to overwhelm his opposition by rapidly attempting to take total control over virtually every aspect of our lives. I will give him credit for explicitly or implicitly following one of Sun Tzu’s great principles elucidated in his famed Art of War:

When doing battle, seek a quick victory.

A protracted battle will blunt weapons and dampen ardor.

If troops lay siege to a walled city, their strength will be exhausted.

If the army is exposed to a prolonged campaign, the nation's resources will not suffice.

When weapons are blunted, and ardor dampened, strength exhausted, and resources depleted, the neighboring rulers will take advantage of these complications.

Then even the wisest of counsels would not be able to avert the consequences that must ensue.

Therefore, I have heard of military campaigns that were clumsy but swift, but I have never seen military campaigns that were skilled but protracted.

No nation has ever benefited from protracted warfare.

His team clearly understands the value of a "clumsy but swift" campaign.

The sheer volume of potential commentary related to Obama's madness and the state of world affairs is so large that I am somewhat overwhelmed and do not know quite where to start. When overwhelmed you must prioritize, so I have formulated a few principles for dealing with this.

One is to try and stay general and tend to act more as an “intellectual wholesaler” rather than retailer. Two is to only dissect concrete issues that have pedagogic value in clarifying these general principles or that involve life threatening political issues that must be defeated (like socialized medicine). Three, where possible, seek the entertainment value of facetiously attacking this insanity because it is fun.

Here are a few of the posts I am working on:

* The importance of refuting the argument that "capitalism" is to blame for the current crisis

* How to stop socialized medicine without doing anything

* Context part II: Towards a theory of induction

* The pragmatist virtue of complexity


* Obama changing U.S. from paper tiger to just paper

* How prices can go down under inflation - update on Fed

* Obama's pragmatism: pattern of stating outright contradictions and meaning it

* Examples of Anthem like economic regression - are we in a depression?

* Follow up: why houses are not investments


* Comment on The Reith Lectures

* Update on the religious left

* Follow up: "the fatigue of central planning"

Anyway, I am back on the job and if anyone yearns for a post on one of these topics let me know and be sure that if no one yearns I will write about it anyway. Hopefully you will continue to find that although this blog is free, it is worth every penny.

More to come...

11 comments:

Mike said...

I'm looking forward to those posts, especially the one about stopping socialized medicine by doing nothing.

Galileo Blogs said...

Doug,

I am looking forward to all of those posts, or whatever you get accomplished. They sound original and interesting.

P.S. - I will lob in a call for the one on how we can have inflation with prices falling.

-GB

Benpercent said...

I cast my vote for the post about socialized medicine. :-)

Doug Reich said...

Ok - 2 to 1 in favor of socialized medicine so far - thanks guys - anyone else?

By the way, I just got this form email from Obama (not kidding) so don't know if I will have time to post anything...

Dear Friend,

Last week, I announced United We Serve – a nationwide call to service challenging you and all Americans to volunteer this summer and be part of building a new foundation for America.

And when I say “all,” I mean everyone – young and old, from every background, all across the country. We need individuals, community organizations, corporations, foundations, and our government to be part of this effort...

Per-Olof Samuelsson said...

All I can say is: Keep up the good work! Your blog is my favorite right now.

Beth said...

I vote for how to fight socialized Medicine without doing anything!

Anonymous said...

You are so hot!

seine said...

Doug, great list but does that mean your going to drop my personal favorites, the amount of disemployment, the people not part of the productive chain we pay for in the current system and significant elaboration on money, what it is, what is legitimate, how can we stop the destruction of the currency, ect.?

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see an article about Mexican Coke Sharks. Thanks.

Doug Reich said...

Seine,

Right after I finish my treatise on "Mexican Coke Sharks" I will get on those issues...

seriously, if you notice, some of the topics on my list are just what you listed especially the topic of revisiting whether we are in a "depression" and and discussing "inflation" and the idea that prices can go down in an inflation. I want to get back to history of money and banking too which really needs a book long treatment. Thanks for letting me know what interests you - that helps when sorting through overwhelming mess...

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work