Saturday, May 16, 2009

Devastating "Story of Stuff" Video Critique at HowTheWorldWorks

In my post analyzing the "The Story of Stuff", an environmentalist-Marxist propaganda film aimed at grade schoolers, I linked to a youtube video that performs a line by line critique of the entire film (HT: Harold). He now has a second part posted as well. I highly recommend this devastating critique.

Incidentally, I noticed that the producer of the critique has his own site at HowTheWorldWorks. He engages in several video debates which he has posted and I highly recommend them. Here is one that I enjoyed. In this post, note the long list of anti-human environmentalist quotes he offers to refute his opponents sarcastic claim that environmentalist are really not the "misanthropic caricature" that anti-environmentalists charge them to be.

As an aside - another interesting aspect to this video is the calm, thorough logic of the producer in presenting his arguments as opposed to the hysterically illogical diatribe of his leftist opponent (which includes the offering of a middle finger at one point!). This phenomena is not a coincidence, a fact which I analyzed in some philosophical detail in this post, also here, and here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a third part posted at his website, btw.

Mark

Harold said...

Make that four.

What I found interesting is that this video assumes people have no free will, that they are buffeted from stimulus to stimulus like the animals they care about so much.

Ross said...

I watched all four parts of the series. The audacity of that original propaganda video is incredible, and while I enjoyed the critique, if anything, I thought he could have dismantled the original material even further. Either way, top shelf stuff.

Doug Reich said...

Ross, re audacity - yes, someone could write a phd thesis on her video as it exemplifies virtually every philosophic and economic fallacy ever committed - it is almost overwhelming...

Anonymous said...

Oh my god... You believe that video was a solid critique? Are you crazy? What the hell is with you people, sitting in your circles of opinion and reaffirming each other's thoughts as if that would make them more true? Can any of you think critically over a material that has been given to you?

There's a shitload of fallacies in the critique, even more than there are in the original video. Most of the arguments are ludicrous and nitpicky.

Oh, and before you call me a lefty or whatever, I live in a post-communist country and don't give a shit about American policies. I can still tell a moronic set of arguments when I see them. (this applies to both critique and original story of stuff)

Doug Reich said...

Although you offer only ad hominem arguments and offer no examples to support your claim, we can all tell that you somehow have the ability to "tell a moronic set of arguments when I [you] see them." QED