Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Disliking College Football

One of my favorite writers, Bill Simmons aka "The Sports Guy" from ESPN.com, responded to a reader inquiring as to why he does not write about college football. I think his response is perfect.

SG: Here's my defense: From late September through Christmas, everyone spends three solid months complaining about how screwed up the BCS system is, how no other sport's championship would ever be decided by a voting process, how half of these kids don't even belong in school, how the coaches are constantly screwing over their players by switching colleges, how dumb it is that you have to wait 50 days between games for the national championship, how the officials are terrible, how the announcers are terrible, how everything's about the money now, how it would be so much better if there was a real playoff system, how the NCAA is more corrupt than the mafia, how there are way too many bowl games … I mean, what's so fun about college football? What am I missing? I spend enough time complaining about sports that I actually like -- I need more complaining in my life? I'll stick with the pros, thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the comments about College Football...how about some comments about pro-football? Why do we keep paying people extraordinary amounts of money if they cannot do the job? How come those just coming from college football teams can acquire incredible salaries without proof of their ability in the NFL? Why does professional football receive subsidies through our tax dollars? Many questions about professional sports. Back to college football. The behavior of alumni mainly supporting their football teams while letting many other events (especially in the arts/music) go unfunded is clearly short sighted. When can we move away from the total commitment of much of the alumni financial resources to the Greco/Roman games of aggression? Let us bring into our colleges more time and donations into activities that help students develop strong mental processes that will help define themselves and the world in which they are going to help create. LJ