Friday, December 22, 2006

Senator Nelson's Response to My Letter

Below is Sen. Nelson's response to my letter regarding his trip to Syria. Although it is on topic, this is little more than a form response and does not address the central theme of my letter which is that meeting terrorist leaders emboldens the enemy by sanctioning his regimes' legitimacy and implying that we are willing to negotiate our security . This is like meeting with a burglar to ask him not to rob your house. He also mentions that he asks other leaders how we can combat the growing threat from Iran. Hmmm, I have a few ideas.

Dear Mr. Reich:

Thank you for contacting me regarding my recent trip to the Middle East. I appreciate hearing your concerns as we work to increase stability and promote democracy in the region.

As a member of the Senate Armed Services, Foreign Relations, and Intelligence Committees, I met with leaders in every country I visited to discuss how we can make progress in Iraq and combat the growing threat from Iran. In Syria, I met with President Bashar Al-Assad to follow up on the bipartisan Iraq Study Group's recommendation that the U.S. begin talking with the country in order to help stabilize Iraq. During my meeting with President Assad, I made it clear that the U.S. will continue to pressure Syria to stop supporting terrorist organizations, including Hezbollah and Hamas.

In addition, I traveled to other countries in the region including Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Israel, Lebanon, and Iraq. In Iraq, I was able to observe first hand the assessment discussed in the Iraq Study Group's Report.

It is a privilege to serve Florida in the Senate, and I value the views of my constituents. Please do not hesitate to contact me on other issues that are of interest to you.

No comments: